Friday, May 23, 2014

Reflecting on Sun Ra's Centenary May 22, 2014

When I was a child I wanted to be three things when I grew up - an astronaut, an archeologist, and a musician. So, when I discovered Sun Ra, it couldn't have been more perfect.

Sun Ra was one of the greatest thinkers, artists, and musicians of all-time. He followed his inner voice and chose to fill the planet with beauty, love, and light against all odds. The debt of gratitude I owe him, and every single Arkestra member too numerous to mention, for the joy and knowledge they have shared with me is incalculable. Sun Ra, John Gilmore, and Marshall Allen changed the course of my life.

I offer sincere thanks and praises to the fellow travelers whose work I have gained so much enlightenment from: Richard Segan, Michael Anderson, Alton Abraham, Tillman Stahl, Hartmut Geerken, Robert Campbell, Chris Trent, John Szwed, John and Peter Hinds, Phil Schaap, Charles Blass, Trudy Morse, Joe Moudry, Stephen Antonelli, Danny Zelonky, Suso Navarette, Jerry Gordon, John Corbett, and Peter Dennett.

These words that Sun Ra recorded in 1956 have always resonated the deepest with me. "Dreams come true, they just have to - to prove they're so supreme. Mine came true, and yours will too - all you have to do is dream."

Christopher Beach Eddy
www.sunraarkive.blogspot.com
05/22/2014

Christopher Beach Eddy at the House of Ra for WKCR FM's Sun Ra Arrival Day Celebration on 05/22/2006. Photo by Charles Blass.
Christopher Beach Eddy at the House of Ra for WKCR FM's Sun Ra Arrival Day Celebration on 05/22/2006. Photo by Charles Blass.

No comments: